- School Schools of Engineering and Technology
- Department/Programme B.Tech CSE
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Soharab Hossain Shaikh is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, SoET, BMU. He has over a decade of experience in academics and research. He is an ardent learner and passionate about looking for new techniques and applications of Machine Learning and Deep Learning in the domain of Computer Vision and text processing.
He has received his PhD degree from University of Calcutta. His area of specialization is in Computer Vision and Image Processing. Prior to joining BMU, Dr. Shaikh has worked as a faculty member at NIIT University for about one-and-half year. Earlier he was a faculty member at A.K.Choudhury School of Information Technology, University of Calcutta for about six years. Before that, he was associated with two Engineering institutions in Kolkata as faculty of CSE for two years.
He has secured the first rank at University of Calcutta in his Master of Technology programme and was awarded the Gold medal. After completing M.Tech, he received a fellowship from the Italian Ministry of Education for Universities and Research (MIUR) for perusing research at Ca’ Foscari, University of Venice, Italy. Dr. Shaikh is also the recipient of TEQIP financial assistance from University of Calcutta for visiting AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland. He has participated in a number of international conferences held in both India and abroad. Dr. Shaikh has also qualified for the National Eligibility Test (NET) for Lectureship.
His area of research is in Computer Vision and Image Processing. He has worked on object detection and categorization and biometrics. He has over twenty publications in international journals and conferences.
Dr. Shaikh jointly holds a US-patent. He has co-authored two books published by Springer. He has also written a book chapter on Gait Analysis in the book New Directions in Behavioural Biometrics published by CRC Press.
Dr. Shaikh has been involved in other professional activities as well. He is one of the guest editors for the International Journal – Springer Transactions on Computational Science, XXV, 2015. He has served as the reviewer for a number of international journals including IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Springer – The Visual Computer, IET Image Processing, International Journal of Biometrics, International Journal of Advancements in Technology, etc. He was also one of the committee members for the international conferences – ICDCN-2010; CISIM-2011, 2013; International Doctoral Symposium on Applied Computation and Security Systems (ACSS)-2014, 2015. In addition, he has reviewed papers for a number of internal conferences including ReTIS-2015, CISIM-2015, FICTA-2014, Nostradamus -2013, ACITY-2012 etc. Dr. Shaikh was the invited speaker at Jagiellonian University, Poland; Heritage Academy, Kolkata. He has also delivered a lecture at the Faculty Development Program (FDP) organized by CSE, Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Berhampore, West Bengal.
Apart from his professional interests, Dr. Shaikh is passionate about music. He plays mouth-organ and loves writing songs and composing music. He is also interested in digital photography. His favourite leisure activities involve playing football with daughter and going out for a long-drive with family.
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Digital Image Processing
- Object Oriented Programming
- Graduation In: Bachelor of Computer Science
- Graduation From: Surendranath College, Kolkata, University of Calcutta
- Graduation Year: 2001
- Post Graduation In: Master of Computer and Information Science
- Post Graduation From: Dept. of CSE, University of Calcutta
- Post Graduation Year: 2003
- Post Graduation In: Master of Technology
- Post Graduation From: Dept. of CSE, University of Calcutta
- Post Graduation Year: 2005
- Doctorate In: Specialization in Computer Vision and Image Processing
- Doctorate From: University of Calcutta
- Doctorate Year: 2014
|From - To (Year)||Designation & Organization|
|July, 2016 - Current||Assistant Professor, BMU|
|Feb, 2015 - July, 2016||Assistant Professor, NIIT University, Neemrana|
|April, 2009 – Jan, 2015||Faculty Member, A.K Choudhury School of Information Technology, University of Calcutta|
|March 2008- March 2009||Lecturer, CSE, MCKV Institute of Engineering, Howrah|
|Sep 2006-Sep-2007||Research Associate, Ca’ Foscari, University of Venice, Italy|
|September 2006- September 2007||Lecturer, CSE, Bengal Institute of Technology, Kolkata|
- Computer Vision – Object Detection and Recognition
- Image Processing – Image Segmentation, Biometrics
- Machine Learning/Deep Learning – Applications to Computer Vision/DIP
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) – Word Sense Disambiguation, Document Classification
- Book: Exploring the Image Binarization Techniques; published by Springer India in the book series of Studies in Computational Intelligence. 2014, ISBN 978-81-322-1907-1. Authors: Nabendu Chaki, Soharab Hossain Shaikh, Khalid Saeed
- Brief Title: Moving Object Detection using Background Subtraction; published by Springer International Publishing in the series Springer-Brief in Computer Science. 2014. Authors: Soharab Hossain Shaikh, Khalid Saeed, Nabendu Chaki
- Contributed Chapter in New Directions in Behavioral Biometrics published by CRC Press Authors: Khalid Saeed; Marcin Adamski; Tapalina Bhattasali; Piotr Panasiuk; Mariusz Rybnik; Soharab Hossain Shaikh; Mohammad K. Nammous
- V Upadhyaya, S.H Shaikh, Smart Traffic Security and Surveillance System, International Journal of Tomography & Simulation, Vol.31 (3), pp. 42-56, 2018.
- V Upadhyaya, S.H Shaikh, Traffic Monitoring using Multiple Sensors, International Journal of Sensors, Wireless Communications and Control, Vol. 8(3), 2018.
- S.H Shaikh, K Saeed, N Chaki; “Partial silhouette-based gait recognition”; International Journal of Biometrics, Vol. 9 (1), pp. 1-16, 2017.
- Sanjay Chakraborty, Sudhindu Bikash Mandal and Soharab Hossain Shaikh; “Design and Implementation of a Multivalued Quantum Circuit for Threshold Based Color Image Segmentation”; Intelligent Decision Technologies, IOS-Press, 2017.
- Vikas Upadhyaya, Soharab Hossain Shaikh; “Vehicle Speed Detection and Notification for Highway Monitoring”; INFORMATION, Vol. 19 (9(B)), pp. 4169-4176, 2016.
- S. Chakraborty, S. B. Mandal, S. H. Shaikh, L Dey; “Ternary Quantum Circuit for Color Image Representation”; 3rd International Doctoral Symposium on Applied Computation and Security (ACSS), 2016.
- Debapratim Das Dawn, Soharab Hossain Shaikh; “A Comprehensive Survey of Human Action Recognition with Spatio-Temporal Interest Point (STIP) Detector”, Springer Journal on The Visual Computer, Vol. 32(3), pp.289-306, 2015.
- Soharab Hossain Shaikh, Ayan Dey, Khalid Saeed, Nabendu Chaki; “On Creation of Reference Image for Degraded Documents Binarization”; International Journal of Computational Vision and Robotics (IJCVR), Vol. 5 (2), 2015.
- S.H Shaikh, A.K Maiti, N Chaki; “A new image binarization method using iterative partitioning”; Springer Journal on Machine Vision and Applications, Vol. 24 (2), pp. 337-350, 2013.
- PATENT: US-Patent on “Character Recognition”, US Patent Number: 8,391,602, Issued: March 5, 2013.
- Fellowship from Italian Ministry of Education and Research (MIUR), 2006-2007.
- University Topper: Gold Medalist, 1st Class 1st, M.Tech, CSE), University of Calcutta, 2005.
- National Scholarship for the result of B.Sc.
- National Eligibility Test (NET) for Lectureship qualified in June 2013.
- GATE - Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test, 2014.
- Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme of Government of India (TEQIP) financial assistance awarded for attending conference and pursue research work at AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland